CAUSES OF PEMPHIGUS FOLIACEOUS
Pemphigus foliaceous is an autoimmune disease.
It is thought o be triggered by medications like:
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
SYMPTOMS OF PEMPHIGUS FOLIACEOUS
Symptoms of pemphigus foliaceous include superficial blisters which are very hard to find since they easily rupture and transition into erosions.
Other symptoms include scaly and crusted erosions on an erythematous (red), inflamed base. These lesions are usually on seborrheic areas like the face, scalp and upper trunk.
TREATMENT FOR PEMPHIGUS FOLIACEOUS
The treatment of pemphigus foliaceous includes the use of:
1. Mestinon (pyridostigmine) has been used to reduce the rate at which pemphigus foliaceous advances.
2. Antimalarials are also used
3. Topical gluccorticosteroids like clobetasol 0.05% twice daily are used for mild cases
4. Systemic steroids for extensive cases
SELF CARE FOR PEMPHIGUS FOLIACEOUS
1. Protect yourself from the sun since its UVB rays can trigger flare-ups in some patients.