Hi since long time I have noticed red, dry skin on my penis head. It does not itch or pain.
Its just red patches and when I don’t apply oil, it becomes dry and dry dead skin starts to peel off.
When I have erections, the dry skin cracks leaving cuts on the penis head.
I have been using many over the counter creams which contain steroids but doctors advised me not to use it as prolonged use will make my penis skin thinner.
I don’t know how to get rid of this problem and I request your kind assistance.
Your symptoms are suggestive of penile psoriasis or psoriasis of the penis.
Symptoms of Penis Psoriasis
Symptoms of penile psoriasis include dry, red lesions which usually develop on the glans penis and the corona. There may also be some scaling especially on the shaft and in circumcised men.
Treatment of Penis Psoriasis
The treatment of penile psoriasis includes:
1. Bland emollients to moisturize the skin and reduce skin irritation.
2. Weak or moderate potency corticosteroid creams should be used sparingly since they can cause thinning of the skin.
3. Vitamin D analogues like Calcipotriol cream can be used alone or in combination with steroid creams.
4. Calcineurin inhibitors like Tacrolimus 0.1% applied twice a day for 10 days has been used to treat genital psoriasis successfully.
5. Dapsone has also been used effectively to treat genital psoriasis in some patients.
Ask a Skin Doctor and get a Private Answer by Email
1.Take a picture of the skin, hair or nail condition
2.Click on the Buy Now button to pay the consultation fee and download the Dermatology Questionnaire
3.Fill the Dermatology Questionnaire
4.Upload the filled Dermatology Questionnaire together with the picture using this contact form