Skin Specialists Online

The Online Skin Clinic

Ask a Skin Doctor: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Dear Doctor

Can you please let me know if this looks like a rash, irritation or cancer.

It has been on my face over a month and spreading a little.

It flakes with dry skin and has a couple of small blister like bumps on the rash.

Thanks for your help.

ask a dermatologist

Dear Client

This condition is known as Seborrheic Dermatitis.

The cause of Seborrheic Dermatitis is not known but it is thought to develop as a result of an abnormal reaction to the yeast Malassezzia. It is not cancer.

Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis

The treatment for seborrheic dermatitis on the face includes the use of:

1. Antifungal shampoos like 2% ketoconazole (Nizoral) can be used on the beard area.

2. Antifungal creams like 1% Clotrimazole cream (Lotrimin)  and Ketoconazole (Nizoral) which can be applied on the affected area.

3. Corticosteroid creams like 1% Hydrocortisone are applied to reduce the itch.

4. Avoiding using harsh soaps on the affected areas.

Ask a Dermatologist your Question

ask a skin doctor

Click here to pay the Consultation Fee and get a private answer by email within 3 days

Your Name

Your Email (required)

Subject[Free Dermatology Consultation]

Send picture of skin, hair or nail disease

Your Message

Pick "yes" below and only send us your message if you agree to the following: I give permission to use my question and picture. I understand that I do not have a doctor/patient relationship with Skin Specialists Online and their answers are for general information purposes only and not specific advice for me. I am more than 18 years old and I take full responsibility for any consequences that may arise from using the information offered by


Categorised as: Ask a Dermatologist Online

Comments are closed.

Bookshelf 2.0 developed by