Ask a Dermatologist Online: Amyloidosis of the Skin

dermatology answers

Dear Doctor

I am a 45 year old Chinese man.

I have developed very itchy and scaly brownish areas on my shins.

I do not have any allergies and I am not on any medications.

I have received many different treatments for this condition like steroid creams and injections but none has worked.

My latest blood tests including blood sugar levels have been normal.

What could I be suffering from?

dermatology answers

Dear Patient

Your symptoms are suggestive of a type of amyloidosis of the skin known as Lichen Amyloidosis.

Please send us pictures of the affected areas for further assessment.

Click here to learn more about the Symptoms of Cutaneous Amyloidosis or amyloidosis of the skin.

ask a dermatologist online

Ask a Dermatologist your Question

Click here to get an answer by email within 72 hours

Your Name

Your Email (required)

[Free Dermatology Consultation]

Send picture of skin, hair or nail disease

Your Message

Pick "yes" below and only send us your message if you agree to the following: I give permission to use my question and picture. I understand that I do not have a doctor/patient relationship with Skin Specialists Online and their answers are for general information purposes only and not specific advice for me. I am more than 18 years old and I take full responsibility for any consequences that may arise from using the information offered by


(C) | Design by

Bookshelf 2.0 developed by