Skin Specialists Online

The Online Skin Clinic

Ask A Skin Doctor: Folliculitis

Dear Doctor

Extremely itchy rash with two pimple/boil like hard lumps.


Dear Patient

This condition is known as folliculitis. The treatment for folliculitis is as follows:

Shower Daily

Take a shower and clean your body at least once a day. Ensure that you also shower immediately after working out.

Using a body wash that contains an antiseptic can also help control folliculitis. Examples include Topix 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Wash which contains Benzoyl Peroxide. You can also use an antibacterial soap like Chlorhexidine Hibiclens.


Topical Antibiotics

Apply antibiotics like Mupirocin (Bactroban), Fusidic acid (Fucidin) and Clindamycin (Cleocin T, Evoclin foam) to treat folliculitis.


Oral antibiotics

Get a prescription for antibiotics that are taken by mouth like Dicloxacillin (Dynapen) and Cephalosporins like Cephalexin (Keflex). Tetracyclines like Doxycycline can also be used.


Incision and Drainage

Consult a dermatologist to have pus removed from the boils in a procedure known as incision and drainage (1&D).

Ask a Dermatologist your Question

ask a skin doctor

Click here to pay the Consultation Fee and get a private answer by email within 3 days

Your Name

Your Email (required)

Subject[Free Dermatology Consultation]

Send picture of skin, hair or nail disease

Your Message

Pick "yes" below and only send us your message if you agree to the following: I give permission to use my question and picture. I understand that I do not have a doctor/patient relationship with Skin Specialists Online and their answers are for general information purposes only and not specific advice for me. I am more than 18 years old and I take full responsibility for any consequences that may arise from using the information offered by


Categorised as: Ask a Dermatologist Online | Hair Diseases

Comments are closed.

Bookshelf 2.0 developed by