The following scalp psoriasis treatment tips are in response to the question below that we received from a reader of our blog.
Dear Hair Doctor
Female, 22y/o, 5’0, 115 lbs. since I was younger, I’ve always had side with my scalp. I have very dry scalp that when I scratch I catch thick flaky dandruff.
Lately, it’s been crawling down to my forehead. I use neutrogena t-gel shampoo and any anti dandruff conditioner.
Also I dye my hair so I would use a color enhancing shampoo. I have a bad, very dry t-zone area. I don’t wash my hair thinking it would just dry my scalp out more because of such chemicals.
What regime should I use/do? Should I change my shampoo/conditioner?Stop dying my hair? Wash my hair everyday?
Your symptoms are suggestive of Scalp Psoriasis which is extending down to affect your face.
Scalp Psoriasis Treatment
Scalp psoriasis treatment includes the use of:
1. Coal tar shampoo like MG 217 Psoriasis Shampoo
Before you shampoo your hair, loosen the scales by combing your hair with a fine-toothed comb.
2. Coal tar moisturizers like MG 217 Psoriasis Tar Treatment. which moisturizes the scalp while it reduces the scaling and itching. You can also use salicylic acid moisturizers like Dermarest Medicated Psoriasis Moisturizer because they also reduse the scaling.
Apply this moisturizer after patting your scalp dry but while it is still damp so as to lock in the moisture.
The scalp psoriasis does not respond to these over-the-counter products, you may need to consult your nearest Dermatologist for medications like the following:
1. Prescription steroid lotion like Betnovate lotion
2. Prescription calcipotriene foam like Sorilux
Supplements that can also help in the treatment of scalp psoriasis include:
1. Omega 3 fatty acid supplements taken daily
2. Biotin 5 mg (5000 mcg) supplement taken daily
Please note that there is no cure for scalp psoriasis but the symptoms of scaling and crusting of the scalp can be controlled using the above medications, supplements and measures.
Please also note that you should be patient with your treatment since it can take months before you see significant results.