Ask A Skin Doctor: Cellulitis


Dear Doctor

I have had this small inflamed red area where the hair line stops on the penis. I’m not sure I scratched or it’s an ingrown hair. I squeezed it the first and second day and pus came out and pick at it a bit. I have been washing regularly. I haven’t had any type of sexual contact with anyone.


Dear Patient

Your symptoms are suggestive of cellulitis which is an infection of the skin and underlying tissues.

The treatment for cellulitis involves the use of antibiotics like Flucloxacillin and pain killers if you are in pain.

Antibiotics like Bactroban can also be applied on the area.

Keep the area clean by washing it with salty water and if you notice pus collecting visit your doctor to have it removed.

Ask a Dermatologist your Question

ask a skin doctor

Click here to pay the Consultation Fee and get a private answer by email within 3 days

Your Name

Your Email (required)

[Free Dermatology Consultation]

Send picture of skin, hair or nail disease

Your Message

Pick "yes" below and only send us your message if you agree to the following: I give permission to use my question and picture. I understand that I do not have a doctor/patient relationship with Skin Specialists Online and their answers are for general information purposes only and not specific advice for me. I am more than 18 years old and I take full responsibility for any consequences that may arise from using the information offered by


(C) | Design by

Bookshelf 2.0 developed by