Skin Specialists Online

The Online Skin Clinic

Ask a Dermatologist Free: Tinea Cruris Penis

Dear Doctor

from last 1 month, the skin of penis (under side) is red.. n got smooth.

sometimes i hurts, i can not do m** or anything..

please help

ask a dermatologist free

Dear Patient

Your symptoms are suggestive of Tinea Cruris which is simply penile jock itch.

Though Tinea cruris does not commonly affect the penis it can do so in some situations. I therefore recommend that you go your nearest healthcare provider and have a KOH Skin Prep Test done. This is a  painless procedure in which scrapings from the skin will be mixed with potassium hydroxide (KOH) and examined for fungi.

Tinea Cruris Treatment

If the KOH test is positive the treatment is with antifungals.

1. Topical Antifungals

Antifungal creams that can be applied on the skin to treat T. cruris include:

a. 1% Clotrimazole cream (Lotrimin) is applied twice a day for around four weeks. The skin lesions usually clear in one to two weeks (clinical cure) but the antifungal medication needs to be applied for another two weeks to eradicate the fungi (mycological cure).


b. Antifungal powders are also used since they absorb the sweat and control the fungi especially during hot days. Examples include Miconazole powder which is used once or twice a day.


2. Systemic Antifungals

Antifungals can be taken by mouth to treat T. cruris if it affects large areas or it has not responded to topical antifungals. Systemic antifungals that can be used to treat penile jock itch include:

1. Itraconazole (Sporanox) 200 mg once a day for 7 days

2. Ketoconazole 200 mg twice a day for 10 days

Ask a Dermatologist your Question

ask a skin doctor

Click here to pay the Consultation Fee and get a private answer by email within 3 days

Your Name

Your Email (required)

Subject[Free Dermatology Consultation]

Send picture of skin, hair or nail disease

Your Message

Pick "yes" below and only send us your message if you agree to the following: I give permission to use my question and picture. I understand that I do not have a doctor/patient relationship with Skin Specialists Online and their answers are for general information purposes only and not specific advice for me. I am more than 18 years old and I take full responsibility for any consequences that may arise from using the information offered by


Categorised as: Ask a Dermatologist Online

Comments are closed.

Bookshelf 2.0 developed by